Buy or Sell First - The Pros and Cons
Which one best suits you?
Which Action Suits You Best
Moving to a new home means you’re going to have to do something about your old one.
But which action will you take? Will you sell it before moving? Or should you jump the gun and secure a new property while still living there? This is the age-old question that owners can spend a significant amount of time thinking over. Weigh the pros and cons of these options to ensure you pick the best one for you.
Buy First Pros
- You will have a home already secured so you won’t stress if your old home sells quickly.
- May have the ability to use equity in your current loan as a deposit for your new home.
- You can spend as much time as you like shopping around for a new home for sale.
Buy First Cons
- You might have to organise bridging finance between the two properties, giving you a time limit. This might limit the time you have to selling your old home.
- If your old home sells at a less than desirable price, you may have to fund the difference in costs.
- You might feel pressured by time and accept a lower offer.
Sell First Pros
- The proceeds from the sale of your home can be used on your new one.
- You will know exactly how much you can spend on your next purchase.
- Time is on your side, so you’ll have the freedom to negotiate deals and offers for a better price.
Sell First Cons
- If your home sells quickly, you could be left to make a rushed purchase on a new home so you have somewhere to live.
- Local property prices could rise in the time between selling and buying a new home.
- You might have to spend more to rent accommodation while between homes.