Buying Real Estate Part 1 - Time for a Change & Finding the Right Property
Time to move and tips to help find the right property for you.
Is it Time for a Change?
There may be a lot of things you like about your current home, but have you ever thought it might be missing a few key features? Whether it's more storage space, extra bedrooms for the kids or perhaps double garaging, these are all good reasons why you might consider moving home.
There are many instances in life where you might need to relocate towns, cities, states or countries. You may have received a new job in another town, or perhaps you just want a change in scenery or to live closer to a sick or elderly loved one.
Relocating to be closer to your work or loved ones may also help reduce the time spent commuting every day, so it may be an option to consider.
Starting a family
When you first moved into your current home, it may have seemed like the perfect size for you. However, if you're thinking of starting a family or adding a few more kids to the bunch, it's likely you're going to need some extra room.
A question you'll need to ask yourself is if your current home has enough space to accommodate your growing family. Otherwise, you might need to think about upgrading to a larger home with more bedrooms for the kids.
There are other features to think about too, such as schooling, parks and other amenities. Have you considered which schools you would like your children to attend? If so, then you may want to move into the school zone to ensure your children can enrol in the future.
It's a good idea to plan ahead – so ask yourself essential questions such as how many kids you plan on having and in what kind of timeframe you would like this to happen in.
As you age, it's important you think ahead and find a property that will be suitable for you during your golden years. Maintaining a large home after your family has moved out can be expensive and difficult. This is when many older people look to downsize their home.
You may want to find a low-maintenance property for sale in an area with great amenities and access to transport.
People also often choose to downsize their homes after they have become 'empty nesters'. They may not want to rattle around in the family home but rather find a smaller property that is easier to maintain and help them free up some finances for life’s activities.
Determing the Right Property for You
The two key questions to ask yourself when considering to buy a new home are ‘where’ and ‘what’. Where do you want to live and what type of property do you want to live in? The old real estate adage – ‘location, location, location’ – is as important a concept today as it has ever been. It is not only more enjoyable to live in a good area, but it will enhance your property’s value and appeal when the time comes to sell.
So what makes a good location?
- Consider growth areas with good access to local facilities and avoid environmental problems such as areas with busy roads or noisy factories nearby
- The combination of good urban planning and natural beauty also result in desirable locations
- Once you have decided on your location the next question is what to buy. Make a list of what is important to you –number of bedrooms, car access, size of land
- Consider if you are prepared to renovate; if so, the worst house in the best street could be a good buy
- Look for at least one special feature; maybe it is a view, a large backyard, a designer interior or original historical features
- The Internet is a great place to start your research. Real estate sites such as Domain.com.au, realestate.com.au and ljhooker.com.au offer on-line inspections with photos of properties and virtual tours and floorplans
- Get to know the local area with the latest community news and more by finding your local LJ Hooker office on Facebook and their local website
- Make searching easier and receive property updates direct to your inbox. Sign up for Property Alerts at realestate.com.au, Domain.com.au and ljhooker.com.au and receive the latest property updates in your area sent to your preferred email address
- Make sure you read myLJHooker’s library of tips and articles on buying and check out our exclusive member offers to help you save money during the buying process
- Maps and information about facilities and services in specific suburbs and regions is available on ljhooker.com.au – a great help if you are moving to an area you don’t know well