Moving Into Your Brand New Home
Moving can be stressful but with some careful planning it can be relatively painless
Planning for the Big Move
Congratulations! You have just purchased a new home. Now you can enjoy the best and most exciting part of the whole process - moving in.
There are a number of tasks that you will need to perform prior to shifting you and your family inside.
Some of these tasks include:
o Redirecting mail through Australia Post
o Connecting utilities such as internet, electricity, gas and water
o Organising a council rubbish and recycling bin if your property does not have one
o Getting the carpets cleaned
o Identifying the fuse box and circuit breaker
o Updating your contact information with your new address
o Setting up home and contents insurance
o Organising a moving company for your furniture
- It's best to obtain a few quotes for removal companies before you decide on one. Remember, the cheapest isn't always the best. You may even wish to consider getting insurance for the moving process to protect your valuables.
- When packing, make sure you mark boxes clearly with the rooms they will be going to
- Give the removalists a copy of your new home’s floor plan so they are aware of which room is which
- A move is a great opportunity to clear out things you no longer use or need. A garage sale is a good idea, or donate your unwanted possessions to a charity
- On moving day you may consider having your smaller children cared for as the change is routine can be unnerving for them
- It’s important to make your young children feel at ease quickly, so set up their rooms first
Check out our Complete Moving Guide for step by step tips, checklists and advice.
Once you have moved all of your furniture into your home you can now take the time to get to know your neighbours and enjoy what the area has to offer.