More housing options for West Australians
Announcing the scheme on January 25, state housing minister Terry Redman said a new agreement between the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA) and the Department of Housing would deliver an additional 1,300 affordable homes over the next seven years.
The collaboration, which will provide more rental and homeownership options for people on low to moderate incomes, will ensure that Perth's housing will support the city's growing population.
"This agreement recognises the advantages of a coordinated effort to share resources and deliver a significant number of well-located, affordable homes close to transport and services and furthers the state government's Affordable Housing Strategy to provide at least 20,000 new affordable dwellings by 2020," Mr Redman explained.
"Under the agreement, both agencies will establish a rolling five-year development plan of joint projects to help fast-track the supply of affordable housing options."
About 40 per cent of the 1,300 new dwellings will be built in Perth's CBD, while the remaining 60 per cent will be constructed in redevelopment areas such as Midland and Armadale.