Day before inspection day – what to do
Woo Hoo - your property is open for inspection tomorrow so it’s time to do some last minute jobs to help create the all-important WOW factor!
If you followed our 'Preparing your House for an Open for Inspection' guide you would have completed a big clean up already, so now it’s only about making sure every room and surface is sparkling and adding the finishing touches.
Throughout the whole property
- Vacuum the property and mop the floors
- Check all the light globes are working and replace if needed
- Open all the windows to air out the property
- Give every room a once over by standing at the door and scrutinizing the view. Is the furniture arranged well, are the window hangings even? Does the room have impact and pizzazz?
A sparkling clean and clutter free kitchen adds a wow factor that can sell a home. Make sure you:
- Wipe down all benchtops
- Ensure hot plate, oven and microwave are clean
- Remove everything from the fridge door and wipe it down
- Remove all clutter from the benchtops
- Leave only a couple of nice appliances on display
- Consider adding a clean and ironed tea towel to the oven door for a bit of colour
Living /Family room
You want your buyers to picture themselves relaxing in the living / family room – you want it to feel spacious and welcoming:
- Ensure your furniture is positioned to allow for traffic flow
- Plump up sofa and throw cushions and position neatly
- Straighten all rugs
- Ensure all paintings are straight
- Clean up / remove any toys
- Leave a few, non-personal, items on display to show your property is a home
It is important to create a place where people feel they can escape:
- Remove your personal knick-knacks and photos
- In the master bedroom - leave a candle, vintage tea cup, or an ornament to personalise the space
- Stack a small pile of neatly displayed books
- All other bedrooms need to be tidy, bookshelves organised and desks clear of clutter
- Ensure all clothes cupboards are neat, tidy and organised as people do look inside!
As with the kitchen a well presented bathroom can leave a great impression on a potential home buyer.
- Remove all clutter from the top of the vanity
- Wipe down the vanity benchtop
- Add some luxury – fresh plump towels, some handmade soaps, a candle, plant or fresh flowers and some boutique bath products will work well here
- After the last shower squeegee the shower screen to remove soap scum on the walls and glass doors
Last minute styling
You’ve done a lot of de-cluttering which is important, but now is the time to bring back a few elements that will really make your home appealing:
- Add a few vases of fresh flowers – one in the entrance and in the living area and small ones in the bathrooms. But make sure you avoid heavily scented flowers
- Consider adding a bowl of lemons beside the kitchen sink
- Display a few beautiful coffee tables books
- Leave a few, non personal, items on display to show your property is a home
It’s important to make a great first impression, to set the right tone…and this starts as soon as the buyer see’s your property from the street.
- Sweep the path to front door
- Remove any deadhead flowers
- Mow the lawn
- Ensure you have a clean doormat
- Ensure garbage bins are out of site
- Hide hose reels
- Remove all toys
- Remove all clothes from the clothes line
If you have Pets
Whilst your pets are no doubt an important member of the household, prospective buyers don’t want to see or smell them when they are walking through your property.
- Deodorise the property to ensure there is no pet smell
- Hide all feeding bowls, pet beds and toys
- Remove all litter boxes and sure there are no droppings on the lawn or around the property
Think about going out for dinner…not only should your reward yourself for all your hard work, but you also won’t be tempted to mess up the property.