COVID-19 Operational Policy
How we’re mitigating the spread of COVID-19 through real estate operations.
At LJ Hooker, our priority is to make sure that people feel safe and secure in their home. To do this our national network of offices are here to assist you - our valued customer - with your real estate needs. By working together, we will prevail, just as our iconic brand has done over the past 91 years.
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented numerous operational protocols. When our team is serving you, be assured we are meeting or exceeding the evolving government and community guidelines.
Today over a quarter of a million people live in homes that are managed by an LJ Hooker team, and over a hundred thousand choose to sell and buy with us each year. We don’t take this responsibility lightly, so please read below our revised operations. And if you have a real estate need, please reach out to your nearest LJ Hooker office.
L Janusz Hooker,
Chairman, LJ Hooker Group
Sales and Rental Inspections
When we are inspecting your home, or conducting an inspection either by appointment or traditionally, according to the state government’s allowances, you can expect the following:
- Social distancing and strict hygiene protocols will be observed;
- The state’s inspections requirement will be observed including, if required, the state’s maximum number of people inside the building or per square meter;
- Detailed contact records of people attending inspections will be kept;
- People with any symptoms of illness, or from a restricted hotspot, will not be allowed to enter the property;
- Hand sanitiser will be made available to everyone (where available);
- Your agent will open all doors prior to the inspection to minimise the need for prospective buyers or renters to touch any surfaces;
- Prospective buyers and renters will be asked to refrain from touching surfaces;
- If the state doesn’t allow public auctions, all LJ Hooker auctions will be live streamed;
- If you would like to bid at an online auction, please speak to one of our agents. They will assist you to be set up and ready to bid if an online auction platform is being used;
- Buyers can bid over the phone with the assistance of one of our qualified staff;
- If a public auction is being held, outdoors or indoors, social distancing and strict hygiene protocols will be observed;
Tenancy Routine Inspections
- Depending on your state’s inspections requirements, you may be requested to conduct your routine inspection online;
- Your agent will advise you on how the online inspection will be conducted;
- The renter will take our Property Manager through the home via video and the report will be made available to the property owner. You may also be asked to take a couple of photos per room to provide to the owner;
- Tradespeople attending rental properties will be asked to declare if they are unwell, or from a restricted hotspot, and, if so, will be rescheduled or an alternative tradesperson found;
- Emergency repairs and maintenance will be dealt with as a priority. Non-urgent maintenance may not be attended to if unallowed due to the state’s current COVID-19 restrictions. Please be aware they may be delays in securing tradespeople.
We feel for those whose livelihoods have been impacted by COVID-19 and will assist in any way we can. Our focus is about ensuring people feel safe and secure in their home.
Where a renter has lost their job or had their hours and wages reduced, we will work with the renter through the issue:
- Renter approaches property manager about hardship;
- Renter puts in writing what their current situation is and their proposal for moving forward;
- The property manager is to forward this request to the property owner;
- The property owner is to confirm in writing to the property manager what their offer to the renter is;
- Renter is sent the offer in writing for signature. This now becomes their mutually agreed rent for the period specified, unless another amendment is required due to state/territory directive;
- The property manager is to manage the amended rent agreement month-to-month as required.
Please check with the Federal Government and your State Government for support that may be available to you.
LJ Hooker Offices
LJ Hooker offices around Australia have implemented many “work from home” policies for staff to minimise the risk to their health and safety as required by the state. For the times where office access is required, our offices have also implemented increased cleaning procedures for their office environments.